Sunday, March 25, 2012

A new year, a new beginning

I turned 54 this month.  Another year has past, my hair is grayer and I find that I have wrinkles in places that I didn't know existed.  Yet, life goes on and each day is a new experience.
My grandchildren help to keep me young.  I have 10 of them,  4 girls, 6 boys , and one more on the way.  Yes, that's right # 11 is on it's way, due in October.  I'm hoping for a little girl, but of course I'll be happy with either a boy or a girl as long as the little one is healthy.
Crafting has always been a passion of mine.  I painted for several years, and wanted to do something different so I tried my hand at sewing.  I've always sewed, learning as a young child from my mother and grandmother.  Making clothes mostly, skirts and tops, but decided I wanted to try making primitive dolls and creations.  In order to sew you have to have needles, thread, sewing machine, cloth, lot's of cloth and many colors of cloth, more cloth than I know what to do with.  I've got a collection of cloth that I purchased because I liked the color of it and thought, it would make a great dress for my doll and lets not forget all the patterns that I've purchased.  Patterns yet to be opened or printed.  And the dolls head is sitting in a basket, the body set beside it and the arms and legs have yet to be made.  I made many creations, dolls, crows, pumpkins, etc, but as with painting, I have also lost interest in sewing "for the time being, anyway".
But fret not, I have a new hobby, and oh yes, my husband is just thrilled.  He could finally see the top of the dining room table, and sorry to say dear "although I love him dearly, my passions a necessity if I want to remain sane.
So, needless to say, I am now trying my hand at sculpting with clay.  My first project is a Lapin bunny.  I am taking an online class from Christy at CC's Whimsies.  I started my Lapin about 3 weeks ago and I must say it is a lot of work, but work that I so far enjoy.
I've been able to master painting, and sewing, and when I decided to give sculpting a try, I thought, how hard can it be?  Well, was I surprised, it's not as easy as it looks, but what fun, it's a blast!!!!
I've completed the ears, face and just finished the eyes today.  It has taken me 3 weeks to get this far, it's really not easy, but I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have a good time.  It's stressful, but relaxing at the same time.  The best part about it, if you make a mistake, you can fix it!!!!
My eyes are drying right now and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to start sanding him.  Until then I have to watch him dry...patience is not something I'm good at.
For anyone who wants to try sculpting Christy has another class coming up in the next few months.  If you go to her blog at http://ccswhimsies.blogspot.com/ you can find out more about it.  You can also check out http://rosesonmytable.ning.com/ for more information about upcoming classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment